VIVA – Valletta International Visual Arts Festival 2018: Call for Expression of Interest from Curators
VIVA is an annual initiative organised by Fondazzjoni Kreattività, which aims to develop and promote the Malta’s visual arts sector by presenting a programme of high artistic excellence meant to engage new audiences creative stakeholders on an international level.
In this context Fondazzjoni Kreattività is issuing this call for expression of interest from curators. The call is for curators to submit project proposals for the 4th edition of the VIVA festival scheduled for April and May 2018. A number of projects proposed by curators will be selected to form part of the festival’s overall curatorial plan.
Interested applicants are required to give details of how they would approach each of these curatorial duties with their projects:
- Planning and developing the visual arts project concept and narrative,
- Coordinating the set-up plan and providing Fondazzjoni Kreattività with adequate site plans and list/s of technical requirements,
- Preparing a curator’s note for internal and external publications,
- Networking with the artists and maintaining contact with artists, interested parties and partners as well as focusing on the location and its audience and attracting new target groups,
- Working within a budget of up to €5,000 (this must include the curatorial fee, artist/s’ fee/s, outsourcing of technical equipment and services, venue fee/s (where applicable), transportation and freight). Requests for larger budgets will be considered against the proposed project’s merit in relation to VIVA’s overall goal of growing the international standing of Malta’s visual arts sector.
- Collaborating with Fondazzjoni Kreattività and other relevant institutions to ensure a successful project/exhibition delivery,
- Assisting Fondazzjoni Kreattività in planning the documentation and archiving process of the work during the festival and post-event.
Ideal candidates should possess the following qualities and abilities:
- Comprehensive experience in curating exhibitions;
- Demonstrable extensive knowledge on contemporary art discourse;
- An ability to devise and implement challenging creative projects targeting different audience groups;
- Involvement in networks of Maltese and international artists;
- A professional command of written Maltese and/or English;
- Good organisational and time management skills.
Interested applicants are to submit their expression of interest by no later than Friday 15th September 2017 by sending a comprehensive CV, cover letter, portfolio and curatorial plan including an adequate budget breakdown to firstname.lastname@example.org.